1 confusion resulting from failure to understand [syn: bewilderment, puzzlement, befuddlement, mystification, bafflement, bemusement]
2 the activity of obscuring people's understanding, leaving them baffled or bewildered [syn: mystification]
3 darkening or obscuring the sight of something
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- The act or process of obfuscating, or obscuring the perception of something; the concept of concealing the meaning of a communication by making it more confusing and harder to interpret.
- Confusion, bewilderment, or a baffled state resulting from something obfuscated, or made more opaque and muddled with the intent to obscure information.
- A single instance of intentionally obscuring the meaning of
something to make it more difficult to grasp.
- During the debate, the candidate sighed at his opponent's obfuscations.
- computing uncountable The option to
alter computer code, preserving its behavior but concealing its
structure and intent.
- You need to turn on obfuscation for these classes.
Obfuscation is the concealment of meaning in communication, making it confusing and harder to interpret.
Obfuscation may be used for many purposes. Doctors have been accused of using jargon to conceal unpleasant facts from a patient. American author Michael Crichton has claimed that medical writing is a "highly skilled, calculated attempt to confuse the reader". B. F. Skinner, noted psychologist, commented on medical notation as a form of multiple audience control which allows the doctor to communicate to the pharmacist things which might be opposed by the patient if they could understand it. Similarly text-based language, like gyaru-moji and some forms of leet are obfuscated to make them incomprehensible to outsiders.
In cryptography, obfuscation refers to encoding the input data before it is sent to a hash function or other encryption scheme. This technique helps to make brute force attacks unfeasible, as it is difficult to determine the correct cleartext.
In network security, obfuscation refers to methods used to obscure an attack payload from inspection by network protection systems.
obfuscation in German: Verschleierung
obfuscation in Spanish: Ofuscación
obfuscation in Simple English: Obfuscation